Thursday, August 17, 2006

Apparently Reality Isn't That Real

So, I was listening to NPR and they were reporting a story about how the writers for the UPN reality show "America's Next Top Model" are on strike. They go on to explain that the writers basically craft the show from all of the footage. Wouldn't they be editors then? Just because they form a "plot" doesn't mean that they are writers. They're doing exactly what editors do, form a cohesive story out of a bunch of footage. The "writers" of this show want to join the WGA and be represented by them, so they've gone on strike. What in the hell, isn't there an editors' union? So now all of these supposed writers from all of these reality shows possibly could seek union representation and possibly go on strike to do so. The whole point that all of these reality shows sprung up in the first place was a WGA strike that made it financially necessary. What could be the next wave of horribly crafted shit if the reality show writers all go on strike? I have no idea, I wish I could speculate about the outcome but I cannot think of what could come next. Could it be real reality programming? I don't know. Oh how I wish I knew because then I would know who to stop. What is wrong with this world when writers that don't write want to join a union for writers. Mind you, the union really wants to get these non-writers into their union. I guess they just really need the dues.

I'm sorry if this post is a little convoluted but I'm in a haze here wondering why.

Listen to the NPR story here

Smarmy

No comments: